"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift. That is why it is called the present."
Kung Fu Panda

"Your life is an occasion...Rise to it!"
Mr. Magorium's Wonder Emporium

Thursday, May 7, 2009

Hooray for CYP2D6 Ultra Rapid Metabolizer!!!

My last post was in anxious anticipation of an upcoming Oncology appointment. At this appointment, Dr. Collea recommended I get tested to see if my body changes Tamoxifen properly into Endoxifen which is ultimately responsible for much of the anti-cancer effect of Tamoxifen. For those of you who don't know my history, I am estrogen receptor positive and Tamoxifen is the ONLY drug treatment for pre-menopausal women. I decided to get the CYP2D6 test as it would allow me to make choices about my health before a recurrence could happen.

If you are a poor metabolizer of Tamoxifen it is unlikely that your body will convert the Tamox. into it's most active form, Endoxifen. This essentially means that the drug is not an effective breast cancer treatment. Doctors recommend if you are a poor metabolizer, that you choose a different form of treatment such as ovarian suppression or removal -- which are not without significant side effects.

Okay enough background. I took the CYP2D6 blood test to determine my metabolizer genotype. Today I received a call from Dr. Collea, when I saw the number, my heart sunk...I answered the phone as a pessimist "what's the bad news Doc.?" He proceeded to tell me to stop being a pessimist because I am an ultra rapid metabolizer of Tamox. This means that my body very effectively changes this drug into its most effective form, Endoxifen.

Hooray! Hooray! Another lesson learned and another cause for celebration! I know this all too well...We spend way too much time worrying about what may happen in our lives, and not enough time rejoicing and savoring the moment when life is good.

I am savoring it now!

5 comments:

  1. It's always a great joy to encounter someone with a spirit like yours. Someone who reminds us all that, whatever trials or misfortunes we may have to face, life is beautiful and worth fighting for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. love that last paragraph. It's so true.Praying God's healing touch on your life. Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your posts are so positive and I'm glad the Tamoxifen if working out well for you. May you have many, many years in remission. Here's to a cure in our lifetime. I have to admit I have my own fearless moments but then I also have those fearful moments. All the best to you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you everyone for such motivating comments. I will keep on writing!

    Be well!
    Heidi

    ReplyDelete
  5. As an ultra-rapid drug metabolizer you break down drugs too fast, causing them to be of no use in the body. If medications do not work properly, conditions such as high blood pressure, blood disorders, and cancer will be left untreated and may even lead to death.

    ReplyDelete